Couldn't put it down

The Selection - Kiera Cass

In the world of The Selection, there are 8 different castes or levels in society (1-8). Ones are the highest level and have the most money. Eights have the least of everything and many are homeless and starving. The Selection itself is the process by which the prince chooses a wife. One woman from each province is chosen to meet the prince (a total of 35). They live at the castle and the prince gradually narrows the group down to the woman he wants to be his wife. America is disgusted by the whole process and has no interest in participating. But her mother insists that she enter. They are Fives and could use the money this opportunity would bring, even if America is not chosen. Then America's secret boyfriend, Aspen also insists that she enter. Aspen is a Six and he feels like he would be holding her back if she doesn't enter.

America finally agrees to enter. After all, what are the chances she will even be chosen to participate...

My opinion

First I have to say that I enjoyed the book and I am already well into the second one. But, I must admit that I am a little annoyed by love triangles. Maybe it's just me, but I really don't understand why these girls are always so wishy-washy. Other than that, America is a very strong and admirable female character and a good role model. She stands up for what she believes in and doesn't try to change herself to please others.

Just like Bella in Twilight, America seems to think she can have it both ways. How much time can she expect these men to give her? And why does she take so many chances? I wanted to scream at her to just make up her mind already. And since the author didn't give us a lot of information on Aspen but let us watch America fall in love with Prince Maxon. I was totally behind her and Maxon. It is so obvious he loves her (to everyone but America). She is so insecure about how he feels and so scared to commit to him. I get that because he is "dating" the rest of the women too. But, Maxon tells her that he is just waiting for her to tell him there is a possibility she could love him. Then Aspen shows up at the castle and America lets him into her room and they kiss. Seriously?? I was on the edge of my seat for the rest of the book waiting for Maxon to find out about Aspen and get hurt and angry. I just started book 2 and I'm still waiting for the moment Maxon finds out and America's whole world falls apart. That's part of why I've been reading so quickly.

(show spoiler)

Anyway, I definitely enjoyed the book and I am enjoying the second one as well. I love the world and the story and the characters. The other women in the selection have a lot of different personalities and the rebel attacks keep it interesting too. And watching America and Prince Maxon together kept me on the edge of my seat.

Recommended to

Fans of dystopian novels who enjoy love triangles and strong female leads.