Willy Wonka meets the library....

Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library - Chris Grabenstein

An essay contest to determine which 12, 12-year olds will spend the night in the new library. What is so special about this library? It was designed in secret by Mr. Lemoncello, the designer of many popular board games & video games. He is eccentric and does things his own way. No one knows what the library will look like inside and these lucky 12-year olds will get to see it first.

Kyle Keeley loves board games; his older brother is better than him at sports and his younger brother is a genius. Kyle's only hope to beat them is at games. Kyle forgets to write his essay and that is no big deal to him until he realizes who the judge is and what the prize is. He takes a chance and hands in his essay late. But will he get one of the coveted spaces in the overnight?

The kids that win get locked in the library overnight. In the morning, they find out that the real game is to find a way out of the library. Some kids choose not to compete but others stay and battle for the chance to represent Lemoncello's company in commercials and be his official spokesperson. They have three lifelines, Ask An Expert, Library Consultation & Extreme Challenge. And they can use any resources they find in the library.

Who will win and what is the secret of Lemoncello's library?

My opinion:

WOW. This book was great. I loved every minute of it. It was like a high-tech version of Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. The twists and turns in this book are so much fun. I really enjoyed reading about the kids solving the puzzles and trying to find the way out.

This book is nominated for a Sunshine State Reading Award in Florida. Children in grades 3-5 will enjoy reading about Kyle and his friends' adventures in Mr. Lemoncello's library. I highly recommend this book to any fans of Roald Dahl's Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and anyone who likes puzzles and adventures.